I mentioned last week that I’m reading the trilogy that inspired House of Cards (also the name of the first book). I have since finished and thought I’d throw down some rules.
Dating Advice from
Romance Novels: House of Cards
- Don’t get crushes on married men. You may* not die, but you’ll definitely get hurt.
- How many times do I have to say it? Go for the nice guy!
- There’s this thing called age-appropriateness. No rule is true in every case, but if someone was pushing four decades when you were born, it’s got to make you wonder what you have in common. For example, my husband and I both grew up in the 80s. So when we run out of things to talk about, we can always rehash old Dukes of Hazard and A-Team episodes.
- It’s okay to not want romance. Empowering even, maybe. But don’t lie to yourself. If you secretly want to hook-up with a married power-hungry politician, sort that shit out. #blog… Click To Tweet
- Don’t let your libido prevent you from seeing that he’s a sociopath.
*Spoiler Alert: You’ll totally die.
- Wikipedia’s List of films featuring romances of significant age disparity
- Huffington Post: Ideal Age Gap For Couples Revealed
Specifically, four years and four months older, which was the average “ideal” age gap as reported by a survey of 2,000 adults.